SPACE FITNESS CHALLENGE
Run and/or walk your way to fitness with this six-month fitness challenge. It began July 1 and will conclude December 31, 2020. As of Wednesday, July 22, there are now 257 folks who are taking the challenge!
The program has different tiers/milestones that create a competitive atmosphere among participants. A space themed T-shirt will be awarded for each tier/milestone you reach.
- 50 Miles – Apollo, red T-shirt of first lunar mission
- 150 Miles – Endeavor, blue T-shirt of final shuttle mission
- 300 Miles – Atlantis, green T-shirt of first shuttle to launch interplanetary probes
- 500 Miles – Falcon 9, silver T-shirt of latest ‘new tech’ space shuttle
Each tier will be attained by tracking your miles as you run, and you can do that by using the Nike Run Club App. (Be sure to sign up with “Peterson Fitness Center,” not the “Peterson Fitness Club.” There are 2 apps out there that have the name Peterson attached to it.)
Here’s how to join the Space Fitness Challenge:
Step 1 – Get the App
- Go to your App store and find the “Nike Run Club” app.
- Click “Install” to begin downloading the app. It’s free to download.
Step 2 – Build A Profile
- Once the app is finished downloading, boot it up.
- Click on the option to join and fill out the “Become A Nike Member,” followed by a series of preferences and questions. Continue until you arrive at the main ‘home’ screen.
Step 3 – Manage Settings
- Click on your profile picture at the top left of your screen. From here, click on “Settings.”
- We will be focused on two: “Units of Measure” and “Run Settings.”
- Units of Measure – Determines whether or not you are using the metric system.
- Run Settings – Alters what you want to be happening while you’re running. The Indoor/Outdoor setting determines how you’ll be tracked: Indoor tracks the movement of the phone (i.e., shaking the phone), while Outdoor tracks the position of the phone (i.e., distance the phone moved in real time).
Step 4 – Join the Club
- Exit your profile and click the “Challenges” tab from the tab menu, or the two-people icon at the bottom of the screen for iPhone users.
- Click on the “plus” icon at the top right of your phone to search for friends, type in “Peterson Fitness Club” and add us. We’ll be easy to find.
- Send us a friend request and wait for us to accept it. You’ll get notification when we do, so it’s advisable to turn on notifications.
- Once we’re friends, go back to the Challenge page and join our challenge. Or we’ll invite you to see if we see you’re our friend but haven’t joined yet.
Step 5 – Track Your Status
- On the 5K Challenge page, you can see how many miles you’ve run, how many days are left to run it, your place in the leader boards and your total distance run.
- To add mileage to the event, go back to the home screen and hit the “Start” button once you’ve set up your run. Make sure you are on the right “Indoor/Outdoor” setting for your run.
- The app will add the mileage in the background, so don’t worry about keeping it open. As long as you hit “Start” before your run, you’re golden!
Or, participants can sign up with the Fitness Center staff, who will be using the Nike app to track your miles. Until the Fitness Center fully reopens, participants who currently don’t have access to the facility will need to email a screen shot of their miles to the Fitness Center staff so they can keep a running tab of your miles.
For more information, contact the Fitness Center staff at the front desk, 719-556-4462, Option #1.
Sure, you can run on a treadmill or on an outdoor track. But why not make it interesting for yourself: Run or walk on some really cool trails in the Pikes Peak region. See trees and wildlife, hear birds, inhale the aroma of pine and piñon. It can do wonders for your well-being, and the rewards are far greater than a T-shirt.
SEND US YOUR PICS – The Fitness Center would love for Space Fitness Challenge participants to email the Fitness Center photos of themselves wherever they’re walking or running – on cool trails in the Pikes Peak region, on 14ers, on evening walks in the neighborhood, or other irresistible places. Inspire us.