March Fitness Bingo!
The name of the game is Four Leaf Clover! The objective is to finish all of the workouts by the end of the month! Pick up your bingo card at the Fitness Center any day during the month of March. Receive a stamp for each challenge completed. All challenges may be done at home or in classes held at the Fitness Center. To receive a prize, all participants must bring their completed bingo card to the Fitness Center front desk and yell BINGO! Prizes vary and may be picked up at completion of a bingo card. This event is free to all authorized DoD ID card holders. Must be an ID cardholder and 16 years of age or older to participate.
2021 Mileage Challenge
January 1 – December 31, 2021
Oh, my goodness! You guessed right: This challenge demands that you cover 2,021 miles between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021. You can RUN, WALK OR BIKE this challenge, and you have an entire year to complete it.
SOLO CHALLENGER – You must complete ALL the miles entirely on your own between January 1 – December 31, 2021.
TEAM CHALLENGER – You can have a team of up to 6 people and DIVIDE the miles amongst the team in order to complete the goal. Teams must complete the challenge between January 1 – December 31.
TRACKING – To track your distance, use Nike Run app. Each participant must register to receive their prize.
Here’s how you can join the 2021 miles in 2021 Challenge:
Step 1 – Get the App
- Go to your App store and find the “NIKE Run Club” app.
- Click “Install” to begin downloading the app. It’s free to download.
Step 2 – Build A Profile
- Once the app is finished downloading, boot it up.
- Click on the option to join and fill out the “Become A Nike Member,” followed by a series of preferences and questions. Continue until you arrive at the main ‘home’ screen.
Step 3 – Manage Settings
- Click on your profile picture at the top left of your screen. From here, click on “Settings.”
- We will be focused on two: “Units of Measure” and “Run Settings.”
- Units of Measure – Determines whether or not you are using the metric system.
- Run Settings – Alters what you want to be happening while you’re running. The Indoor/Outdoor setting determines how you’ll be tracked: Indoor tracks the movement of the phone (i.e., shaking the phone), while Outdoor tracks the position of the phone (i.e., distance the phone moved in real time).
Step 4 – Join the Club
- Exit your profile and click the “Challenges” tab from the tab menu, or the two-people icon at the bottom of the screen for iPhone users.
- Click on the “plus” icon at the top right of your phone to search for friends, type in “Peterson Fitness Center” and add us. We’ll be easy to find.
- Send us a friend request and wait for us to accept it. You’ll get notification when we do, so it’s advisable to turn on notifications.
- Once we’re friends, go back to the Challenge page and join our challenge labeled “2021 miles in 2021 challenge”.
Step 5 – Track Your Status
- On the Challenge page, you can see how many miles you’ve run, how many days are left to run it, your place in the leader boards and your total distance run.
- To add mileage to the event, go back to the home screen and hit the “Start” button once you’ve set up your run. Make sure you are on the right “Indoor/Outdoor” setting for your run.
- The app will add the mileage in the background, so don’t worry about keeping it open. As long as you hit “Start” before your run, you’re golden!
JOGGING & WALKING PROGRAMS
The Fitness Center encourages people to maintain physical and mental well-being through physical fitness. One of the simplest methods of staying fit – and one that requires the least amount of investment – is walking / jogging. A good pair of shoes is all that is really necessary.
The Fitness Center has a 5k/10k walking/jogging trail that begins on Ent Blvd. in front of the Fitness Center. Turn right on Ent Blvd. to Peterson Blvd. Turn right on Ent and continue to Dover St. and turn left (the Mission Support Group building is now on your right). Continue on Dover to Malmstrom and turn left. Follow the sidewalk that runs parallel to the golf course.
The 5k (3.1 miles) turnaround point is at the end of a fence line that is clearly marked with an arrow in the middle of the path. The 10k (6.2 miles) continues east and turns right at the fire station, and then left onto a dirt road that circles behind the fire station. Then turn back to the Fitness Center by reversing the route.
Walkers and joggers can also use the outside quarter track, located on the south side of the Fitness Center.
Walkers and joggers can also enjoy the Fit Trail, located in Captain David Lyons Memorial Park. The path is .75 miles long and has 15 stations that include muscular development and flexibility exercises of varying degrees of difficulty. The stations are placed some distance apart to permit cardiovascular work when jogging or walking between stations. Instructions are posted at each station. Using this Fit Trail can improve physical fitness.