5k COLOR RUN
We’re adding a little color to you day with a fun 5k Color Run on Wednesday, June 30. The 5k starts at 7 a.m. at the Fitness Center.
- Register HERE
- You have the option of running or walking the course.
- Children are welcome to participate, and there will be a one-mile route for them.
- The first 50 participants to sign up will receive a T-shirt on race day.
- The event is free and open to authorized DoD ID cardholders stationed at Peterson, Schriever or Cheyenne Mountain.
- For more information and to sign up, call the front desk at 719-556-4462.
2021 Mileage Challenge
January 1 – December 31, 2021
Oh, my goodness! You guessed right: This challenge demands that you cover 2,021 miles between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021. You can RUN, WALK OR BIKE this challenge, and you have an entire year to complete it.
SOLO CHALLENGER – You must complete ALL the miles entirely on your own between January 1 – December 31, 2021.
TEAM CHALLENGER – You can have a team of up to 6 people and DIVIDE the miles amongst the team in order to complete the goal. Teams must complete the challenge between January 1 – December 31.
TRACKING – To track your distance, use Nike Run app. Each participant must register to receive their prize.
Here’s how you can join the 2021 miles in 2021 Challenge:
Step 1 – Get the App
- Go to your App store and find the “NIKE Run Club” app.
- Click “Install” to begin downloading the app. It’s free to download.
Step 2 – Build A Profile
- Once the app is finished downloading, boot it up.
- Click on the option to join and fill out the “Become A Nike Member,” followed by a series of preferences and questions. Continue until you arrive at the main ‘home’ screen.
Step 3 – Manage Settings
- Click on your profile picture at the top left of your screen. From here, click on “Settings.”
- We will be focused on two: “Units of Measure” and “Run Settings.”
- Units of Measure – Determines whether or not you are using the metric system.
- Run Settings – Alters what you want to be happening while you’re running. The Indoor/Outdoor setting determines how you’ll be tracked: Indoor tracks the movement of the phone (i.e., shaking the phone), while Outdoor tracks the position of the phone (i.e., distance the phone moved in real time).
Step 4 – Join the Club
- Exit your profile and click the “Challenges” tab from the tab menu, or the two-people icon at the bottom of the screen for iPhone users.
- Click on the “plus” icon at the top right of your phone to search for friends, type in “Peterson Fitness Center” and add us. We’ll be easy to find.
- Send us a friend request and wait for us to accept it. You’ll get notification when we do, so it’s advisable to turn on notifications.
- Once we’re friends, go back to the Challenge page and join our challenge labeled “2021 miles in 2021 challenge”.
Step 5 – Track Your Status
- On the Challenge page, you can see how many miles you’ve run, how many days are left to run it, your place in the leader boards and your total distance run.
- To add mileage to the event, go back to the home screen and hit the “Start” button once you’ve set up your run. Make sure you are on the right “Indoor/Outdoor” setting for your run.
- The app will add the mileage in the background, so don’t worry about keeping it open. As long as you hit “Start” before your run, you’re golden!
STRONGEST IN THE GALAXY
April 1-December 31 Functional Fitness Room, Peterson Fitness Center
Show off your strength! Men and Women will put forth their strongest lifts to total 1000 pounds from April 1 – December 31!
Men’s total weight will be a combination of squats, bench & dead-lift.
Women’s total weight will be a combination of squats, bench, dead-lift, shoulder press & leg press.
Lifts can be done virtually by providing a video of the participant’s lifts or in person with the assistance of the Fitness Center Staff.
To complete lifts in person, contact the Fitness Center at 719-556-4462, Option 1 to schedule your time.
Must be an authorized DoD ID card holder, stationed at Peterson, Schriever or Cheyenne Mountain and 16 years or older to participate
JOGGING & WALKING PROGRAMS
The Fitness Center encourages people to maintain physical and mental well-being through physical fitness. One of the simplest methods of staying fit – and one that requires the least amount of investment – is walking / jogging. A good pair of shoes is all that is really necessary.
The Fitness Center has a 5k/10k walking/jogging trail that begins on Ent Blvd. in front of the Fitness Center. Turn right on Ent Blvd. to Peterson Blvd. Turn right on Ent and continue to Dover St. and turn left (the Mission Support Group building is now on your right). Continue on Dover to Malmstrom and turn left. Follow the sidewalk that runs parallel to the golf course.
The 5k (3.1 miles) turnaround point is at the end of a fence line that is clearly marked with an arrow in the middle of the path. The 10k (6.2 miles) continues east and turns right at the fire station, and then left onto a dirt road that circles behind the fire station. Then turn back to the Fitness Center by reversing the route.
Walkers and joggers can also use the outside quarter track, located on the south side of the Fitness Center.
Walkers and joggers can also enjoy the Fit Trail, located in Captain David Lyons Memorial Park. The path is .75 miles long and has 15 stations that include muscular development and flexibility exercises of varying degrees of difficulty. The stations are placed some distance apart to permit cardiovascular work when jogging or walking between stations. Instructions are posted at each station. Using this Fit Trail can improve physical fitness.