5 STAR NUTRITION REP ON SITE
Our 5 Star Nutrition Fit-to-Go Series is held from 4-6 p.m. every Tuesday in the lobby at the Fitness Center. Meet Tyler, our nutrition rep, who will answer questions and hand out free product samples.
NOTE: “We are short staffed at the office right now, so we’ll not be able to be at Peterson’s Fitness Center on Tuesday, November 24. We love meeting the folks at Peterson and look forward to seeing you soon.” – 5 Star Nutrition, Colorado Springs
OUR OPERATING HOURS ARE 5 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays – Fridays, and 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays; closed Sundays and holidays.
- Authorized Patrons: Active Duty Military and DoD/GS Civilians who work and/or live on Peterson, Schriever, or Cheyenne Mountain AFS, plus Retirees and Dependents age 16 and older with a valid ID.
- Retirees and Dependents must provide proof that they live in Colorado Springs.
- Schedule for Authorized Patrons:
Monday – Friday:
5-8 a.m. – Active Duty, DoD Civilians ONLY.
8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Active Duty, DoD Civilians, Retirees and Dependents 16 years of age and older with a valid ID.
3:30-6 p.m. – Active Duty, DoD Civilians ONLY.
6-8 p.m. – Active Duty, DoD Civilians, Retirees and Dependents 16 years of age and older with a valid ID.
7 a.m.-5 p.m. – Active Duty, DoD Civilians, Retirees and Dependents 16 years of age and older with a valid ID.
Please be advised of the following guidelines:
- Patrons must wear a mask/face covering in order to enter the facility and in the strength training areas.
- Patrons do NOT have to wear a mask while exercising on cardio equipment.
- We ask that you abide by the posted signage indicating authorized physical distancing measures and head counts.
- We ask you to please stay home if you feel ill or have fever.
- In addition to checking ID cards, our fitness staff will be conducting temperature checks as patrons enter, as an added health and safety precaution. Patrons with elevated temperatures will be asked to return home.
- The Fitness Center outdoor track remains available for use with appropriate social distancing.
If you have any questions, please call the Peterson Fitness Center front counter at 719-556-4462.
The Fitness Center remains temporarily closed to all other personnel at this time due to COVID-19. But, the Fitness Center outdoor track remains available for use with appropriate social distancing.
HOLIDAY FITNESS FUN – TWO GREAT SEASONAL EVENTS
(TOYS FOR TOTS DONATIONS)
From 6 p.m. to 12 p.m. Friday, December 11, in Gym #1 at the Fitness Center.
This event is both a Spin-A-Thon and an Aerobic-A-Thon. Each will have three different one-hour long time slots, and both will be hosted in Gym #1 at the Peterson AFB Fitness & Sports Center.
This program is also a way to give back to the community. We will be accepting new toys that will be donated to the Colorado Springs TOYS FOR TOTS program.
Spin-A-Thon: 6 a.m.-8 a.m.
Aerobic-A-Thon: 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
All Active Duty and DoD Civilians assigned to Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB or Cheyenne Mountain AFS or retirees and dependents who are age 16 or older and living in the Colorado Springs area and with an authorized ID card are eligible to participate.
Fitness Center COVID-19 rules and restrictions apply to all customers entering the facility.
For more information, call the Fitness Center front desk at 719-556-4462.
go out and jingle!
VIRTUAL JINGLE BELL RUN
December 11 -13.
Time determined by runner.
You’re invited to participate in the Peterson AFB’s Virtual Jingle Bell 5k Run/Walk hosted by the Fitness and Sports Center. Our virtual 5k can be run – or walked – anytime and anywhere, even indoors on a treadmill. Participation is FREE!
The most accurate way to track your participation is by using a Running GPS watch, but there are also several free smartphone apps available for iPhones and Android devices that you may be interested in
Participants will receive a free T-shirt, and hams will be randomly given out to participants. Note: Shirt pickup time frame is December 14 – 18. Shirts are in limited supply. Hams will be randomly given out to participants.
Authorized DoD ID cardholders age 16 and older may participate.
Step 1 – Register by Thursday, December 10, for the 5K using the signup link – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0D4EA9AF29A5FAC16-jingle
Step 2 – Run/Walk 5k between the dates of December 11 – 13 and track it digitally.
Step 3 – Take a picture of yourself completing the run or one of you wearing the event T-shirt, and then post it on 21FSS Facebook.
If you have any questions, call the Fitness Center’s front desk at 719-556-4462.
SPACE FITNESS CHALLENGE
Run and/or walk your way to fitness with this six-month fitness challenge. It began July 1 and will conclude December 31, 2020. As of Wednesday, July 22, there are now 257 folks who are taking the challenge!
The program has different tiers/milestones that create a competitive atmosphere among participants. A space themed T-shirt will be awarded for each tier/milestone you reach.
- 50 Miles – Apollo, red T-shirt of first lunar mission
- 150 Miles – Endeavor, blue T-shirt of final shuttle mission
- 300 Miles – Atlantis, green T-shirt of first shuttle to launch interplanetary probes
- 500 Miles – Falcon 9, silver T-shirt of latest ‘new tech’ space shuttle
Each tier will be attained by tracking your miles as you run, and you can do that by using the Nike Run Club App. (Be sure to sign up with “Peterson Fitness Center,” not the “Peterson Fitness Club.” There are 2 apps out there that have the name Peterson attached to it.)
Here are the numbers, as of Thursday, October 15.
- Number of Participants – 480
- Total Miles – 34,902.51 miles
- Average Distance per Person – 72.71 Miles per Person
- Number of Runners Who Have Completed the 500 Mile Challenge – 10
- Number of T-Shirts Earned – 112
Here’s how you can join the Space Fitness Challenge:
Step 1 – Get the App
- Go to your App store and find the “NIKE Run Club” app.
- Click “Install” to begin downloading the app. It’s free to download.
Step 2 – Build A Profile
- Once the app is finished downloading, boot it up.
- Click on the option to join and fill out the “Become A Nike Member,” followed by a series of preferences and questions. Continue until you arrive at the main ‘home’ screen.
Step 3 – Manage Settings
- Click on your profile picture at the top left of your screen. From here, click on “Settings.”
- We will be focused on two: “Units of Measure” and “Run Settings.”
- Units of Measure – Determines whether or not you are using the metric system.
- Run Settings – Alters what you want to be happening while you’re running. The Indoor/Outdoor setting determines how you’ll be tracked: Indoor tracks the movement of the phone (i.e., shaking the phone), while Outdoor tracks the position of the phone (i.e., distance the phone moved in real time).
Step 4 – Join the Club
- Exit your profile and click the “Challenges” tab from the tab menu, or the two-people icon at the bottom of the screen for iPhone users.
- Click on the “plus” icon at the top right of your phone to search for friends, type in “Peterson Fitness Center” and add us. We’ll be easy to find.
- Send us a friend request and wait for us to accept it. You’ll get notification when we do, so it’s advisable to turn on notifications.
- Once we’re friends, go back to the Challenge page and join our challenge. Or we’ll invite you to see if we see you’re our friend but haven’t joined yet.
Step 5 – Track Your Status
- On the 5K Challenge page, you can see how many miles you’ve run, how many days are left to run it, your place in the leader boards and your total distance run.
- To add mileage to the event, go back to the home screen and hit the “Start” button once you’ve set up your run. Make sure you are on the right “Indoor/Outdoor” setting for your run.
- The app will add the mileage in the background, so don’t worry about keeping it open. As long as you hit “Start” before your run, you’re golden!
Or, participants can sign up with the Fitness Center staff, who will be using the NIKE app to track your miles. Until the Fitness Center fully reopens, participants who currently don’t have access to the facility will need to email a screen shot of their miles to the Fitness Center staff so they can keep a running tab of your miles.
For more information, contact the Fitness Center staff at the front desk, 719-556-4462, Option #1.
Sure, you can run on a treadmill or on an outdoor track. But why not make it interesting for yourself: Run or walk on some really cool trails in the Pikes Peak region. See trees and wildlife, hear birds, inhale the aroma of pine and piñon. It can do wonders for your well-being, and the rewards are far greater than a T-shirt.
SEND US YOUR PICS – The Fitness Center would love for Space Fitness Challenge participants to email the Fitness Center photos of themselves wherever they’re walking or running – on cool trails in the Pikes Peak region, on 14ers, on evening walks in the neighborhood, or other irresistible places. Inspire us.
Policy Memorandum for Peterson Fitness and Sports Center & Aquatics Center – September 2020
This policy outlines the current authorized patrons into the Peterson Fitness and Sports Center and the Aquatics Center due to the COVID-19 outbreak this year.
Wellbeats helped play a role in keeping you fit early in our game plan against COVID-19. Now the Fitness & Sports Center is delighted to offer our patrons access to Wellbeats through January 31, 2021.
STEP 1 – Download the Wellbeats App or visit the website portal: portal.wellbeats.com
STEP 2 – Select ‘Register Via Code’ and enter invitation code (See flyer.)
STEP 3 – Play a fitness class!
Official Fitness Assessments
Interim Policy Guidance for Official Physical Fitness during the COVID-19 Outbreak
Subject to local health conditions, Air Force physical fitness assessments shall resume January 1, 2021, and the following actions pertaining to all official physical fitness assessments apply:
- Commanders shall begin assessing Airmen’s fitness on January 1, 2021, contingent upon base fitness centers being reopened and local state/country travel and movement restrictions being lifted.
- If fitness centers remain closed and local movement restrictions remain in place, commanders may choose to delay physical fitness assessment resumption beyond January 1, 2021, until safe conditions are available.
- An Airmen’s next scheduled fitness assessment will be based on the date of their last official assessment and fitness category.
- In order to maintain the health and safety of the force as we resume testing, the abdominal circumference component will be temporarily suspended through October 1, 2021, or until further notice. During this period, all Airmen will receive a temporary, one-year abdominal circumference component exemption, and the next scheduled test date will be based on the overall fitness score. (See attachment 2 for full schedule). This one-year temporary abdominal circumference exemption will take precedence over any other shorter term temporary abdominal circumference exemptions.
- The annual height and weight measurements taken in conjunction with the fitness assessment will be temporarily suspended until further notice in order to preserve the health and safety of the force.
- Physical training leaders augmenting the Fitness Assessment Cell may test members from within their same unit to help provide Commanders with capacity options.
- Commanders should use the four-month delay to purchase appropriate equipment (i.e., toe bars) to aid in physical distancing and administration of official physical fitness assessments in a safe and healthy environment.
Actions pertaining to Airmen who are non-current, overdue or who have an unsatisfactory official fitness assessment:
- Airmen who are non-current or have an unsatisfactory official physical fitness assessment will not be required to test before the authorized 42-day reconditioning period has expired. The first day of the 42-day reconditioning period begins on January 1, 2021.
- However, Airmen may request a waiver to the 42-day reconditioning requirement with commander approval, in order to test early and meet promotion eligibility or other requirements but may not be forced or directed to do so.
Some members of the Fitness & Sports Center’s staff are certified Fitness Specialists. Each are qualified to assist you in building an individualized eight-week program to help you achieve your fitness goals. If you run into a brick wall several months into a training regimen or need something new to renew your zeal for working out, the Fitness Specialist might be what you need. And, they can give you an equipment orientation, showing you all the different fitness equipment in the facility and demonstrating how to operate it. For more information, call the front desk at 719-556-4462, #1.
The Peterson Complex Fitness and Sports Center is one of the best facilities you will find in the Air Force. The staff of the Peterson and Cheyenne Mountain fitness facilities provides outstanding customer service and programming.
Our staff attends training in Fitness Specialist and Coopers Personal Training Courses in order to provide our customers with safe and knowledgeable instruction.
Intramural and special program events exceed the core requirements and provide opportunities for espirit de corps and competition among all eligible customers.
We offer a comprehensive fitness improvement program, aerobics and spinning classes to ensure our customers have the opportunity to develop or improve their level of fitness.
We invite you to be an active participant in all our programs, special events, and classes.
If there are any questions or anything we can do for you to improve your fitness experience, please don’t hesitate to contact myself or one of my staff.