PRIVATE PILOT GROUND SCHOOL
- The Private Pilot Ground School is an 8-9 week course, at $650.
- The course is Jeppesen online, and you meet with the instructor, through ZOOM or In-person, once a weeknight (6-8 p.m.) to go over materials and ask any questions.
- Completion of this course prepares you to take the FAA Written with the endorsement from the instructor.
- After you pass your FAA Written, you have 2 years to complete the flying portion and pass the Checkride with an FAA DPE for your Private Pilot License requirements.
- Completion of this course satisfies the FAA minimum requirement for the Ground School portion to get your Private Pilot License.
- For details and to sign up, call the Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center (aka Aero Club) at 719-556-4310.
OPERATING HOURS: Office open 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday – Friday
FLYING OPERATIONS: Open 24/7
Please be advised of the following:
- Authorized Patrons: All Aero Club members, instructors, pilots and students.
- Patrons and instructors must adhere to wearing PPE (mask/face covering) both in the cockpit and in the facility.
- Aero Club staff will be conducting temperature checks as members enter flying operations. Patrons with elevated temperatures will be asked to return home.
If you have any questions, please call the Aero Club at 719-556-4319 or 719-556-4310.
THE AERO CLUB: Celebrating 69 Years, 1951-2020
The Aero Club’s first aircraft was a Cessna 140. Roger Reaves, one of the first members of the Aero Club at Pete Field, donated this 1951 photograph and his original ADC Aero Club membership card to the Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center.
FLIGHT TRAINING EXCELLENCE
Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center Recognized For Flight Training Excellence by National Association
Peterson AFB, CO – The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), the world’s largest aviation association, recognized the Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center (aka, Aero Club) for its high standard of accomplishment in flight training. During the year, Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center flew 3500 hours and achieved a 98% pass rate on FAA written and practice tests. The Association awarded the Training Center, part of the 21st Force Support Squadron, the title of a Distinguished Flight School for 2019, a title given to high scoring flight schools during AOPA’s annual Flight Training Experience Survey.
In addition to the Distinguished Flight School Award. Mr. David R. Novotny, an instructor at the Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center, has been recognized as the Best Flight Instructor in the Northwest Mountain Region, a title given to the top scoring flight instructor. Congrats Mr. Novotny!
AOPA’s Flight Training Experience Awards were created to highlight the best flight training the industry has to offer. This award is only received by the top 3% of flight schools in the nation. “Creating a genuine bond with a customer is crucial to creating a positive flight training experience,” said Chris Moser, AOPA’s Senior Director of Flight Training Education. “Based on the direct feedback we received in the Survey, there is no doubt that this year’s winners have connected in a powerful way to their customers. These flight training providers are doing it right!”
“Along with providing excellent training, superior customer service and a stellar safety record, the Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center is like a family supporting one another to reach their goals.” – Meagan Liggins, Operations Assistant RMUFTC.
The 2019 awards were drawn from flight students and pilots who voluntarily reviewed their flight training experience this past summer through an AOPA online customer satisfaction survey. The process yielded an evaluation of 972 different flight schools and 1,876 individual flight instructors. Learn more: www.aopa.org/FTEawards
For information about flight training with The Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center please visit https://www.21fss.com/about/aero-club/ or by call 719-556-4310.
ONLINE PRIVATE PILOT GROUND SCHOOL
The Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center (aka, the Aero Club) offers an online Private Pilot Ground School about every eight to nine weeks. It’s an eight-week Jeppesen online course meeting 6-8 p.m. once every two weeks, schedule varies, in Hangar 133 on the flight line (Hamilton Ave.). This allows you a chance to go over materials and ask questions.
This is the FAA mandated 35-hour, eight-week preparatory course for your FAA Private Pilot written examination. This is only the ground school portion of the Private Pilot Course.
The cost is $650, which includes all of the course materials you will need to complete the whole course, except for a headset, which we rent for $2/flight until you decide what kind of headset you would like to purchase for yourself.
After you pass the FAA written exam, you have two years to complete the flying portion and pass the Checkride with an FAA DPE for your Private Pilot License requirements.
The flying portion of the course is pay-as-you-go and generally takes about three to four months to complete.
The total cost to obtain your FAA Private Pilot’s License – the ground school and flying portion combined – is between $6,500 and $7,500 depending on you.
For more information on the Private Pilot Ground School and to sign up, call the Aero Club at 719-556-4310 or stop by Hangar 133.
FLIGHT CERTIFICATIONS OFFERED
In addition to the Private Pilot Ground School offered about every 8 weeks, the Rocky Mountain USAF Flight Training Center offers these flight certifications, all of which are VA approved:
- Instrument Rating
- Certified Flight Instructor
- Certified Flight Instructor, Instrument
- Multi-Engine Instructor
- Airline Transport Pilot – Multi-Engine
- Single Engine Add On – A 20-hour transition course for helicopter pilots to train for fixed wing ratings is available, VA approved.
- Mountain Flying Ground School – Offered each spring, free to members.
Tell us: What are we doing well and what do we need to improve? Click here to connect to ICE – and be sure to include your comments. More than anything else, your written comments help us understand what really matters to you. Thank you for caring.